Wednesday, November 14, 2018

2018 Warren Mackenzie Advancement Award- Katie Coughlin

As I said in my last post, I was in the process of beginning researching at the Abbey of  St. Gallen, locates in St. Gallen, Switzerland.






The Abbey is believed to be the oldest Benedictine Abbey in the Western World. St.Gall, an Irish monk arrived on this site in the early 600’s and established a hermitage (building or settlement where people would live religiously and secluded). About 100 years later, after his death, the monastery was established and flourished in the arts until the 10th century, when due to religious and territorial issues, the monastery was basically under siege for the next 600 years.  The Abbey that we see today is no longer occupied by a religious order. It was built in the mid 1700’s and is a UNESCO World Hertiage Site. The Church was absolutely incredible, from one end the outside is very grand but where you enter the church is somewhat plain, it as if you are walking into a cloud. Once inside, the space and Baroque decoration is awe inspiring. I make it a point to go into as many churches as possible when traveling and I have never seen anything quite as fantastic as this one.















 The first day I arrived was the feast of St. Gall, so the community had a few special events that day. I was able to attend a Gregoria’s Chant in the choir of the Cathedral. The following day I had access to the Abbey Library and permission to look at the manuscripts. I was able to dissect an English translation of the Benedictine law, which deals with labor as a core principle and the ways as to which the monks were expected to live. The laws have no really been altered since they were written and are still followed to as the guiding source of  lifestyle for the Benedictine Order. I was also able to see drawings of the first canonized female Saint in her garments from the 14th century.






After my stay in Zurich, I traveled back to Ireland and stayed with the Nuns at St. Mary’s Abbey in Co. Waterford. The Nuns at St. Mary’s are part of the Cistercian order which is one of the more strict lifestyles in terms of contact with the outside community. They live a silent life which means that silence is revered and spoken word is only used for necessary exchanges. The nuns are called to prayer 8 times a day- resulting in a schedule that begins as 3:50am and ends around 9:30pm. The Abbey is self sufficient  having a farm, a factory for making the Eucharist and greeting cards as well as a sewing room for the garments. Due to the cloistered society, I was not allowed to see the sewing room but was able to have a conversation with Sr. Michelle about her garments and how wearing them impacts her daily mental and emotional state.









Staying at the Monastery was one of my favorite things I did while on my trip. The conversations and exposure to a lifestyle of complete dedication to a higher purpose was very eye opening. The grace and genuine hospitality that pours from these women was transcending.

In my next post I will be giving you a brief history on my family background and what I learned from spending time on my grandfathers homestead.





No comments:

Post a Comment