Tuesday, December 11, 2018

2018 Warren Mackenzie Advancement Award- Katie Coughlin

Hello! I am writing to tell you about the final parts and probably most significant part of my trip to Ireland. A large part of my research was observing and learning my family history. I can give you a brief synopsis because as it goes- my family is large and connects to many other families in the area- we can almost make up a whole village.

Both of my Grandparents on my Fathers side are from Galway County in Western Ireland. They grew up outside Ballinasloe (known for its farming and horse fair- the oldest continuous fair in Europe, of its kind). My Grandfather, Christy Coughlin was from Kilconnell and my Grandmother, Mae Coughlin née. Keighery was from Aughrim. These two villages lie about 12 kilometers from one another. My grandparents- there was a slight age difference- didn’t know each other growing up but at one point my Grandpa, who had gone to America by himself at the age of 14, came back to Kilconnell with intents to marry an Irish girl and take her to the U.S. He met my Grandmother, they married in Ireland and sailed over to New York.

This is the port that my Grandfather originally left from in Cobh (Cove), in County Cork- not pictured is the Heartbreak Pier, where many Irish immigrants left their country to pursue new life in America.

Christy and Mae Coughlin is the U.S. the year they were married. (1948)

The towns that they are from are extremely small- you will most likely only find a church and a pub that are still used regularly in each. No grocery store, nothing- it was told to me that they didn’t get electricity in Aughrim until the 1950’s. I can not imagine the shock of going to another country- let alone- New York City, that they both faced as young adults traveling so far from home.

When they arrived- they moved into a house that belonged to the Uncle of my Gandfather, James Coughlin. This is the house they raised my Dad and his 9 siblings in. I also lived in this house for three years as a child. I grew up with all my cousins and aunts and uncles constantly around and engaged in my life. My Dad, did not- all his relatives were and are still in Ireland.

I was able to meet in total about 30 of my relatives and still have a few more to encounter. I traveled over the roads going from Aughrim to Kilconnell and back again countless times. I was able to meet a woman, Mary Ryan, who informed me of an incredible amount of family history as she was related to my Grandfather. She was also family friends with Grandmother growing up. Her childhood home, that she still lives in, was the half way resting spot for my Grandfather when he walking or riding his bike over to court my Grandmother.

Mary Ryans home in Aughrim, situated right down the street from St. Catherines Church


Mary Ryans home where my Grandfather would stop for a rest halfway between his home and my Grandmothers. 


Mary Ryan

The houses and properties that my Grandparents were reared in, are still in our family and have been for about 200 years or more. My 1st cousin once removed, Seamus, still farms the land my Grandfather came from. He runs a cattle ranch. My Grandmothers childhood home is still lived in by her brothers wife, Carmel, the last of that generation to still be alive, and the land is rented out to a neighbor farmer for his cattle.

A new homestead on the property that my Grandfather grew up on. This was land inherited by his father when his mother passed away in Childbirth. His mother was given this land by her father because there were no men in the family. 

This barn now stands where the original home was. 

This property is still farmed by my 1st cousin once removed, Seamus Coughlan. He is a cattle rancher and the land has always been used to raise animals. 

My 2nd cousins, Brian, Nile and Emma, children of Seamus and Christina Coughlin, 
who grew up on this land as well. 

The Church, St. Catherine's, where my Grandparents married. The marriage is always held in the parish of the woman.


St. Catherine's, my Grandmas childhood school is now a hall where dances and events are held. 


My Grandmother, Mae and her Mom, Elle.               

The house my Grandmother grew up in. Her father was also raised here. 

Carmel (on the right) now lives in this house, she was the wife of my Grandmothers brother, Martin and raised her three children there. These are three of her grandchildren and my 2nd cousins- 
Neive, Aoiefe and Ashling



This is the view of my Grandmothers barn and house. The property lies where the Battle of Aughrim took place. The bloodiest battle between the Irish Army and the Williamite Army in 1691.


This is my 1st cousin-once removed, Helen, she grew up on this farm as well. A daughter of Martin and Carmel. 

Martin, Anne, Mae (my Grandmother) and Brendan
Siblings

The way most people heat their homes in Ireland is through a decomposed vegetation called peat. You can find peat in a bog. Some houses come along with a bog plot which is a lucky thing as then you don't have to pay someone else for the fuel to heat your home with. 
This picture is of the road to the Bog of my Grandfathers property.

This is a view of the Bog from far away- a bed of wet grass that ends at a forest.

Coming up closer, we begin to see how the bog is cut.

After being cut, it is laid out to dry and "footed" or turned. 

Here is what the peat looks like after it has been cut and dried- it is now called turf. It is very dry and dense- making it perfect for a slow burn. 

These are 3 of my cousins that live in Gort, in Co. Galway.


My experience of Ireland was one of welcoming and an immediate sense of belonging. I have tons of more photos and family history that I will be sharing in my upcoming presentation at The Ohio State University. The information I learned about my family is extremely important to me. I regret not asking more questions when my Grandparents were alive- as I feel now that I missed a whole generation of insight. One of the key ingredients to the success of this trip was observational research. One can not always describe in words the sensations and feelings of being in a space or with particular people. The need to focus and be present was something I reminded myself of during this whole exploration. I had a constant commitment to look around and really see my surroundings- this is much easier to do when you are traveling on your own. 

As I move forward in my studio practice- these experiences will play a significant role in my work. Some of my main goals are to finish my family tree and dig into new stories with my family on this side of the Atlantic. 

Thank you for traveling along. This was one of the most wonderful, challenging experiences of my life and would not have been possible without the Warren Mackenzie Advancement Award nor the Northern Clay Center. 

No comments:

Post a Comment