Thursday, December 3, 2015

Time and Evolution (Joe Singewald)

The goals I established for the Jerome Ceramic Artist Project Grant were simple: set up a new studio and further develop my handbuilding vocabulary. The first goal was highlighted in my previous blog entry leaving the latter for this entry.

Years and years ago when I first felt comfortable making pots on the wheel, I remember the thrill that came with each kiln unloading and saving the gems for apartment cupboards. More exciting was the realization that the pots thrilling me at that very moment would, overtime, lose their spark when new, more stimulating pieces replaced them. This evolution has always been my goal. The simple formula to promote progression: more time and more pots.

Fast-forward 15 years to today where my Jerome goal is to pursue handbuilding with soft slabs of clay.  For the past few months, my focus has been on a handful of forms: cups, vases, boxes, and large jars.  Pots were being made and fired with hopes of building a stellar Jerome show inventory.

Suddenly and unexpectedly something happened last week that threw a kink into much of what I accomplished in the previous months.  Late on a weeknight I had a moment of clarity while finishing a vase. I realized a few pattern adjustments could alter my vase adding visual strength to the form. Likewise, lengthening a smaller vase neck and adding walls to bowls quickly morphed these forms into better, more exciting pieces. Not just a little better, but a lot stronger to the point that I don’t know if I can show the pieces finished earlier. Progress feels great and is electrifying and energizing.

Cut Handled Bowl
Cut Handled Bowl


Six Sided Vase, 22 inches wide.



Here we go again, I am really pleased with the advancement in studio, but I am more excited about the evolution that will continue and for those pieces that have yet to be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment